Wednesday 17 November 2021

Session 6: Enabling Access Sites

Today we had a closer look at Google Sites.  We reflected on our current sites and looked at a variety of examples.


I have a class website but it is not something that I use with my tamariki very often. It was made as a starting point for whanau during lockdown where links were added so tamariki and whanau can access learning websites. 


After looking at my colleagues examples and the examples that were shown to us I quickly saw  how your class site can be a ‘one stop hub for learning’ where learning can be accessed anywhere, anytime and at any place.


I decided to make a literacy website that supports my Reading Recovery teaching and also literacy teaching in my school. 3 clicks to learning and not too much scrolling was what I had in mind when I started to create this new website. Using Google Draw to customize buttons was my starting point. I liked how you can select your own image or part of an image to create your button.  I made buttons to represent the different colours of the colour wheel. Also, a listening  station button where I  was able to copy the urls from my youtube channel that we created a few weeks ago to get books to add to my website. This a a great time saver.


Still lots of work to do on the website but I am excited to see how this website develops and how the tamariki engage with it.









1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Kate,
    I agree, a one-stop-hub is exactly what sites are good for. It allows learners to engage with the content and instructions as often as they need. I always remember the parent (also a teacher) who reflected that her son really struggled with getting the instructions and would ask a number of time but was also embarrassed and would give up as he might need to engage with the instructions five times. The instructions being on the site gives independence.
    Ngā mihi,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete